This is Claire Hewitt’s favourite and most requested recipe for bread. She was given it by a tuneful and hospitable baker from Sligo.
She describes it as a journey bread – something which you can rely on to sustain you as you travel. I imagine her eating it on her adventures, telling stories, making friends, sharing food and songs, baking bread….
- 500ml natural yogurt
- 1 beaten egg
- 15g medium oatmeal
- 150g oat flakes
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- A handful of pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds
For a fruity loaf add a few chopped apricots and cranberries.
For a savoury loaf chopped basil, a few olives chopped and half a block of crumbled feta cheese.
- Mix all the wet ingredients
- Mix all the dry ingredients
- Mix both together
- Bake in a lined loaf tin for 30 minutes at 180C then reduce to 150C for 30 minutes
- Eat once cold.